Skip to main content

Guest Post by Shelby: A Non-Traditional Applicant

Hi everyone! Hope you all enjoyed your July 4th weekend (I had an exam July 5th @ 7:30 am so I had to study for part of it). I am super thrilled to be sharing a guest post today from one of my friends, Shelby! Shelby took a few years off between undergrad and starting PA school. So, she has all the amazing advice about how to get amazing DPC hours and how she was able to improve her application! She would be an amazing resource if you're considering getting a masters, doing a post bacc before starting PA school, or gaining tons of DPC hours in short period of time!


Everyone’s journey towards Physician Assistant (PA) school is unique. I am definitely a non-traditional student. It has taken me longer than I expected to get to where I wanted to be when I first started my path. Although, I would like to share with you how I never gave up. I only applied once and will be starting PA school January 2018. I hope this gives you hope towards achieving your goals. One of my favorite quotes “just because you took longer than others doesn’t mean you failed.” Please feel free to ask any questions and follow me on my Instagram @student_shelby Thank you again Brittany for having me do this guest post! Here is a timeline on what I did during my gap years, between graduating undergrad and starting PA school.
GAP YEARS
2012
·       February
o   Received a job as a nutrition assistant at local hospital (gained >900 hrs)
·       June
o    Graduation for bachelor’s degree (there was only a spring commencement)
·       August
o   Finished classes for bachelor’s degree (had to take a class over the summer, I finished with a GPA <3.0 something I was ashamed of but had many factors contributing to it)
o   Completed training for Certified Nursing Aide (CNA) (I considered being an EMT but it was too expensive and hard to find a job in the area I lived in)
·       September
o   Received a job at a skilled nursing facility (SNF) (gained 800 hrs)
·       November
o   Shadowed the gerontology PA who worked with the patients at the SNF
·       December
o   Received job at local hospital as a CNA for inpatient oncology full time
2013
·       August
o   Took fall classes post bacc (full-time) fall quarter
o   Through December was a Mentor for a program on campus (volunteering experience)
·       September
o   Shadowed general surgery PA at the hospital (loved it)
2014
·       January
o   Took the GRE for the first time (did not do well on it)
·       February
o   Shadowed OB/GYN PA outpatient (patients were so willing to show me their bodies)
·       June
o   Shadowed oncology PA outpatient (I passed out during it so embarrassing. I was dehydrated from the heat)
·       July
o   Left job on oncology unit (gained >3000 hrs, best job I ever had I loved it there)
·       August
o   Shadowed Family Medicine PA outpatient
o   Started a Master’s degree and moved to another state
·       November
o   Had to take a medical leave of absence (LOA) from master’s degree and move back to my home state (very difficult time in my life but was a necessary decision)
2015
·       January
o   Started spring classes at local community college-full time
o   Started job at a surgery center as a Patient Care Technician (PCT)
·       May
o   Received 4.0 GPA first time ever in college and award for dean’s list
o   Started job in the float pool for three different hospitals as a PCT
·       August
o   Left job at surgery center (gained <300 hrs)
o   Left job for float pool (gained <500 hrs)
o   Started Masters of Biomedical Science degree at MWU-AZ (returned from LOA)
·       November
o   Started my research project
2016
·       April
o   Shadowed family medicine/mobile clinic PA (totally different experience)
o   Shadowed pain medicine PA outpatient (super interesting)
o   Shadowed surgical PA (pioneered the da Vinci machine)
·       June
o   Joined Crossfit (best decision for me)
·       July
o   Took GRE (did better but math score was lower than I wanted)
o   Submitted CASPA application to 13 schools (First time applying, super nervous)
·       August
o   Started hearing from schools they received my application (initial steps, before an interview)
o   Started paying for secondary applications (some are automatic, others are for interested schools)
o   Changed research projects (this was something wild to do but it was totally worth it)
·       September
o   Beginning of month: Found out my medical LOA had majorly affected my GPA, sent letters to schools explaining the situation (majorly upsetting)
o   Middle of month: Started receiving denial letters from schools (hard to receive this but part of the process)
o   End of month: Received first invite for an interview (I was in class when I received the email, screamed in excitement)
·       October
o   Mock interviews with faculty in my master’s program and with a PA friend of mine (they gave me positive feedback)
·       November
o   1st interview for PA school (felt so much pressure, I cried after the fact)
·       December
o   Invite to my 2nd interview for PA school (Super excited for this one)
2017
·       January
o   2nd Interview for PA school (absolutely love the faculty, school and town)
o   Competed in my first Crossfit partner workout
·       February
o   Acceptance to MCPHS (I was alone when this happened, opened it snail-mail, screamed and called my mom)
·       March
o   Finished winter quarter classes for my master’s degree, the rest of the time is dedicated towards writing the thesis and completing experiments (GPA for graduate school is >3.8, very proud of this)
·       April
o   Competed in a second partner Crossfit competition (we placed in the top half in the scaled division)
o   Did my first Crossfit open (everyone in the world does it super fun)
·       June
o   First Crossfit competition in advanced division and with my PA friend “Namaste-a-PA”
·       November
o   Anticipated graduation/thesis defense (super nervous for this)
·       December
o   Move across the country to the east coast for PA school (excited for this)
2018
·       January
o   Matriculate at MCPHS for Physician Assistant school class of 2019 (thankful and thrilled to start!)

Why did I take classes post bachelors and get a master’s degree? What was it like?

         I mentioned this earlier, but my undergraduate GPA was below the minimum needed to apply to PA schools. This was due to many factors and unfortunately, I did not have a mentor in my life to guide me. After I graduated from undergrad and started gaining patient care experience I knew the PA path was for me and needed to take more classes to improve my GPA. I wrote a guest blog post on “ThePAPlatform” about why I chose to do a masters and gain research experience, but basically, I wanted more and other options to have if my acceptance to PA school took longer. Taking classes after graduating undergrad was refreshing. I did not feel the same pressure to get done as I did when I was in undergrad. I gradually started learning that I needed to change my focus and study habits. I advise you to never give up and if you must go back and take more classes, go for it! I enjoyed learning about subjects I was unable to take in undergrad also.

How was I able to gain so many patient care hours (PCH) so quickly?

         I was on the straight and narrow to get as many PCH as possible in the least years possible. Since I felt I came late into the game as far as gaining hours I worked multiple jobs at several points to learn as much as possible and strengthen my application. It accelerated my learning but I was exhausted. I loved having the ability to work in several different units before PA schools because I can connect to different patient populations and diseases. One of the biggest things coming out of this is I hope to be a mentor or give guidance to applicants because I did not have that and always wished I did. I believe I needed to prove to myself I was ready for PA school and networked as much as I could to know not only my job well but a numerous amount of jobs throughout the hospital. It has really helped me well by doing that.
How was I able to push through and get into PA should with the obstacles such as my LOA?
         I will be honest there were days I doubted myself and prepared myself to apply for the next cycle if needed. Taking the LOA was not an easy decision, many bad things and some good happened during that (academic) year. One day, I decided my happiness was more important than anyone else or anything else in my life. I could not imagine being 40 years old and have not pursued my dreams. There are still days I must take it one day at a time but I am very proud of the person I have become and hope to continue to grow and learn about myself. I say don’t ever settle for the things that matter to you.



Shelby will be graduating from Midwestern University with her Masters in Biomedical Sciences this fall and will be attending Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences for PA school in January. Her biggest passions revolved around CrossFit, coffee, being a dog mom, and giving back. Feel free to follow her journey through PA school and beyond. Instagram: student_shelly

Comments

  1. Thanks for your story to PA school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place..
    creative blogs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School  Hi everyone! I'm super excited to be able to share a guest post written by Savanna Perry from The PA Platform! : Hey guys!  I’m really excited that I’m able to share some tips with you about starting PA school.  After the excitement of gaining acceptance, and the realization that you’re actually going to become a physician assistant starts to fade away, the nervousness about what to expect sets in.  If you talk to any current PA student or PA, you’ll likely hear how difficult and all-consuming school is.  I’m here to tell you that it can also be fun, and provide some advice that I wish I had before I started my program.  1. Start studying for PANCE from day 1 The ultimate end goal of PA school is to pass the boards, which is called the PANCE.  I didn’t really start thinking about this until the third semester, but I wish I had used my PANCE study books from the beginning of didactic year when we were learning clinic

CASPA Survival Guide

Hi pals, with CASPA opening up within the next month, I thought some of you might find this blogspot helpful! I had trouble navigating through the application process so I can relate to your stress! I remember meticuously tweaking my personal statement every day and impatiently wondering if I would ever get an interview invite. Looking back, I can definitely say all the stress and time was worth it! To learn about what you can do early before CASPA opens, check out my other post  here ! I also recommend checking out CASPA's FAQ which I've linked on my main blog page! CASPA opens on April 27th this year! The first thing to do would be to create a profile with your email. When I first tried to open CASPA on Safari, it didn't work for me so if you run into this problem I recommend trying Google Chrome! As you guys probably already know, I'm a big supporter of submitting your app as early as possible since most schools operate on roling admissions! This gives you a bett

Stethoscope Review

I have so much to be thankful for this year!  What I am most grateful for this year is the health of my loved ones and the privilege to practice medicine! And alsooooo my new Erka sensitive stethoscope from Medelita! They were so kind as to gift me this new medical accessory! You may be thinking “You work in dermatology! You never use a stethoscope” and you would be right, 98% of the time. In dermatology, we do use stethoscopes to take blood pressure from putting patients on spironolactone, a potassium sparing diuretic which also decreases testosterone and therefore helps acne! Some side effects can include increased urination and therefore dizziness and hypotension so for patients with a history of low blood pressure, we check their BP in office before sending off a script.  I was worried that I would miss having a bell with this stethoscope, but to be honest, I’m loving how sleek it is! It fits perfectly into a carrying case that virtually takes up no space in my bag! The dar