Skip to main content

Study Tips



My top 5 tips for studying in PA school

Hi pals! It's been a while since I've written on here. My winter term started the end of November, which was also when we  started Clin Med and boy has it been a whirlwind. Now since I've gotten 7 months of PA school under my belt, I thought I would share some of my biggest study tips. This term, we're taking Clin Med, Pharm, Path, EBM, and Medical Law/Ethics. These tips apply mostly to Clin Med, but if you guys want study tips on pharm or path, comment below!

Disclaimer: These are just some study methods that work for me. Everyone studies differently so other methods not listed on this blog post might work better for you!

1. Optimize your time in class
Personally, I like to study off of printed notes because my eyes hurt if I stare at my computer for too long. Ideally, before each lecture I outline the powerpoint and put it into a word doc so that as the professor is giving the lecture, I'm adding in notes into my word doc. That way, once they've finished the lecture, my study guide for that powerpoint is already finished (unless I missed something and need to go back and re listen to the lecture). What I've learned in PA school is that you have to be really productive during the day and make sure you're optimizing all your time because there aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything you want.

2. Try and review the same day
This is something I'm currently working on and want to get better at. Usually in school you're learning information for a new block before you've been tested on the current block. So, it can be hard to bring yourself to study newer material when you're studying for a test later in the week that has nothing to do with that lecture. However, I do think that if you can review the information you learned that day for one hour at night that it'll help cement the information in your head while it's still fresh. It's a lot easier to review a little each day than try and cram learning all new information into 3 days before an exam.

3. Talk things out
This was something my professors really stressed going into Clin Med and I now understand why. Talking things out with classmates is a great way to share mnemonics and hear other ways people processed the information differently. It's also a nice opportunity to quiz each other and for me personally, once I get a question wrong, I remember it more and am less likely to make the same mistake again. If you're studying off powerpoints and printed notes through visualization, talking stuff out is another just another perspective to learn the information you're using through a different sense which is always good for reinforcement!

4. Exam master
Exam master is life saver. Seriously, if you've never tried it, I highly recommend looking into if your school has free access to it. I love to take practice exams the day or two before my real exam to see where my strengths and weaknesses are with that block. As with the third tip, I'm also less likely to get something wrong a second time. Exam master is great because you can create a test on a specific body system and if you put it in learning mode, once you submit the answer for that question, it tells you if you're right or wrong and gives an explanation why. I think it's also going to be very helpful in studying for the packrat and the PANCE!

5. Take breaks
Your brain will thank you later, trust me. When you take breaks, your brain recharges and you'll be more focused and therefore more productive. I've found that on the days I take a 10 minute break every hour, I get more done and remember the information better than if I had studied through the hours.

These are just some of the tips I try and implement when I'm studying, but everyone learns differently! For other ideas on what tools to use when studying, check out Jazmine's blogpost here!

As always, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to DM me on Insta @pafanatic or shoot me an email at fanaticpa@gmail.com !


Comments

  1. If you want to study in the PA school then you can get the five tips from this section for your better education and learning. The female voiceover talant service can bring the best tips for your learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a long time i read your post.I was looking for sample dialogue essay and i don't know any relative online website.If anyone knows kindly tell me.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are the study tips from which you can get the help in a better way. Just come here and enjoy more tips for your career. You can Click here and enjoy a better time here for the fun. Better tips are present here to study in a helpful manner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School  Hi everyone! I'm super excited to be able to share a guest post written by Savanna Perry from The PA Platform! : Hey guys!  I’m really excited that I’m able to share some tips with you about starting PA school.  After the excitement of gaining acceptance, and the realization that you’re actually going to become a physician assistant starts to fade away, the nervousness about what to expect sets in.  If you talk to any current PA student or PA, you’ll likely hear how difficult and all-consuming school is.  I’m here to tell you that it can also be fun, and provide some advice that I wish I had before I started my program.  1. Start studying for PANCE from day 1 The ultimate end goal of PA school is to pass the boards, which is called the PANCE.  I didn’t really start thinking about this until the third semester, but I wish I had used my PANCE study books from the beginning of didactic year when we were learning clinic

CASPA Survival Guide

Hi pals, with CASPA opening up within the next month, I thought some of you might find this blogspot helpful! I had trouble navigating through the application process so I can relate to your stress! I remember meticuously tweaking my personal statement every day and impatiently wondering if I would ever get an interview invite. Looking back, I can definitely say all the stress and time was worth it! To learn about what you can do early before CASPA opens, check out my other post  here ! I also recommend checking out CASPA's FAQ which I've linked on my main blog page! CASPA opens on April 27th this year! The first thing to do would be to create a profile with your email. When I first tried to open CASPA on Safari, it didn't work for me so if you run into this problem I recommend trying Google Chrome! As you guys probably already know, I'm a big supporter of submitting your app as early as possible since most schools operate on roling admissions! This gives you a bett

Stethoscope Review

I have so much to be thankful for this year!  What I am most grateful for this year is the health of my loved ones and the privilege to practice medicine! And alsooooo my new Erka sensitive stethoscope from Medelita! They were so kind as to gift me this new medical accessory! You may be thinking “You work in dermatology! You never use a stethoscope” and you would be right, 98% of the time. In dermatology, we do use stethoscopes to take blood pressure from putting patients on spironolactone, a potassium sparing diuretic which also decreases testosterone and therefore helps acne! Some side effects can include increased urination and therefore dizziness and hypotension so for patients with a history of low blood pressure, we check their BP in office before sending off a script.  I was worried that I would miss having a bell with this stethoscope, but to be honest, I’m loving how sleek it is! It fits perfectly into a carrying case that virtually takes up no space in my bag! The dar