Skip to main content

Personal Statement

If you're anything like me (writing is not a strength), this may be a harder task for you, but fear not! If I can do it you can too!

CASPA opens in just 12 days! If you're applying this cycle and hoping to submit early, it's crucial that you start your statement now. I'm going to be honest, a lot of PA applicants look good on paper. It's hard for the admissions committee to differentiate between each applicant, but your personal statement is the one thing that you can use to bring your application to life and talk about all the unique qualities that you have! As I've said in many posts before, the book "How to get into PA school" by Andrew J Rodican was super, super helpful to me when writing my personal statement. Highly recommended 10/10.


Make a list of things you want the admissions committee to know about you:
Whether it's traits or accomplishments, this gives you a good starting point and something to start writing around. For me, I knew that I wanted to showcase my empathy, therefore, I made sure I included examples of patient care or experiences in my life where I had to demonstrate empathy and it was a great starting point for me.

Overwrite at first:
This may seem like a weird tip, but trust me it's easier to shave down your statement than to add to it. Plus, if you have a bunch of ideas, you can write about them all and then see when you're finished which ones work best together!

Then condense it:
With this in mind, it's also important to be as concise as you can. If the "fluff" you have doesn't add anything valuable to your statement, get rid of it. The admissions has to read thousands of these and the last thing you want is for them to be bored when reading your personal statement! The limit in CASPA for your personal statement is 5000 characters, including spaces.

Have an opening hook: 
Like I said above, the admissions committee reads thousands of these so it's important that your opening statement is eye catching! For mine, I talked about a story from my childhood that was , to be completely honest, a little odd, but I related it back to my path to becoming a PA and it definitely caught the admissions committee's attention and got them to read more! If you're a CNA, or EMT, it could be good to start with an opening story about a time you were in an emergency situation and how you handled it. It's not only exciting, but also describes some of your patient contact experience and supports your ability to think on your feet.

Demonstrate that you know and understand the roles and responsibilities of a PA!
In order to be offered an interview, I really think it's crucial that the admissions committee can read your personal statement and say that you understand the role of a PA in healthcare. Programs have a limited amount of interview slots they can offer so it's important that you not only demonstrate why you want to be a PA, but also that you understand what a PA does. Did you shadow a PA? What did he or she do? Did they write an H&P or first assist in surgery?  Did they consult with their supervising physician? If you are offered an interview, this may be one of the first questions you're asked anyway so better to know it know! For help, research the definition of a PA.

Do not use contractions and try to reduce the amount of times you use "I":
This was talked about in the book I listed above. Instead of writing "don't", write "do not". Instead of writing "can't", write "can not". As for limiting the amount of times you use "I", I found this to be extremely difficult. Really, I mean isn't the whole point of a personal statement to talk about yourself anyway? Some admissions committees steer away from this because being a PA means you will be a
part of a medical team for the rest of your life. It's important that you mention working, or wanting to work in a team, or watching a PA be a team member in a patient's care.

Have as many people as possible read it (and at least 1 PA):
This is probably my most important tip to you! Having a lot of eyes to look over your grammar and spelling is super important. It's especially important to have a PA read it because they've been in your shoes so they know what the admissions committee wants (they might have even worked with the admissions committee at their school). I sent mine to three and their advice was by far the best. If you need another set of eyes to look over it, I would be more than happy to help! DM me on Instagram @pafanatic

Be true to yourself:
 At the end of the day, you know yourself better than anyone else. Don't change your entire personal statement to fit someone else's opinion unless they have good reason or advice.

Be sure to ask check out Kat's personal statement tips as well @ stethoscope.kat.blogspot.com !!

I know you guys can do it so just remain cool, calm, and collected! Good luck!




Comments

  1. That is possibly my own most critical idea for your requirements! Possessing plenty of face to check above the syntax and also punctuation will be very crucial. It really is specifically crucial undertake a PA examine that due to the fact they are within your shoes or boots so they really know very well what the particular admissions committee would like they could have got also worked with the particular admissions committee with their particular university. More info visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snyder your this statement is very effective. If a writer do not write essay in length become hard for reader. I think every writer must have purpose about reader friendly article. I found More information from your this statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have no strength in the field of writing, then you can do nothing in your life. Just come to this point and sure that you're good in writing. You can make the list of writing and it's learning in oxbridge english personal statement and enjoy the better pattern of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personal statement is a compulsory part of our admission, in any institute, and for a good personal statement, we can learn writing techniques from personal statement help ucas that provide great help in writing a good quality personal statement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To write anything needs your proper attention and you have to make the hardwork for it. Don't feel along and get all of the help from this zone. This is a great site which can give you a better service in this field.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to you for share this post. and you write well and very smartly. good job, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To post everything requires your current suitable awareness along with you will need to create your handwork correctly explore more. Never experience coupled and have each of the support because of this sector. This is the wonderful internet site which often can supply you with a greater assistance within this discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you like the thing that wish to have in the future, then this is not herder task to click here and Writing for that thing. At the end of the task you will feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The statemnet should be eye catching and attractive for job as they consider it more valuable. You must hire someone to write this statement if you want to get your job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For the better help of the personal statement you can cover your time here and get the best position. Grab the hard deals here and start to write your work in the best phase of this site. You can also follow this link on https://www.paraphrasingonline.com/tips-on-how-to-paraphrase-an-article/ to decide the pattern for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Personal statement writing is one of the major part to apply for job and academic education. Here you have shared very good tips about personal statement writing in perfect way. Also visit this page to get our online paraphrasing tool. This information of writing a good personal statement should helpful for students and job applicants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your content actually added confidence and courage in me.Its very informative from different aspects specially from statement writing aspect.I would like to visit the official website for better use.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Make your personal statement a great strength with this site which is a good thing. You can explore more about this site and can visit our page in order to find the tool for the writing and can enjoy the perfection in this field.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School  Hi everyone! I'm super excited to be able to share a guest post written by Savanna Perry from The PA Platform! : Hey guys!  I’m really excited that I’m able to share some tips with you about starting PA school.  After the excitement of gaining acceptance, and the realization that you’re actually going to become a physician assistant starts to fade away, the nervousness about what to expect sets in.  If you talk to any current PA student or PA, you’ll likely hear how difficult and all-consuming school is.  I’m here to tell you that it can also be fun, and provide some advice that I wish I had before I started my program.  1. Start studying for PANCE from day 1 The ultimate end goal of PA school is to pass the boards, which is called the PANCE.  I didn’t really start thinking about this until the third semester, but I wish I had used my PANCE study books from the beginning of didactic year when we were learning clinic

CASPA Survival Guide

Hi pals, with CASPA opening up within the next month, I thought some of you might find this blogspot helpful! I had trouble navigating through the application process so I can relate to your stress! I remember meticuously tweaking my personal statement every day and impatiently wondering if I would ever get an interview invite. Looking back, I can definitely say all the stress and time was worth it! To learn about what you can do early before CASPA opens, check out my other post  here ! I also recommend checking out CASPA's FAQ which I've linked on my main blog page! CASPA opens on April 27th this year! The first thing to do would be to create a profile with your email. When I first tried to open CASPA on Safari, it didn't work for me so if you run into this problem I recommend trying Google Chrome! As you guys probably already know, I'm a big supporter of submitting your app as early as possible since most schools operate on roling admissions! This gives you a bett

Stethoscope Review

I have so much to be thankful for this year!  What I am most grateful for this year is the health of my loved ones and the privilege to practice medicine! And alsooooo my new Erka sensitive stethoscope from Medelita! They were so kind as to gift me this new medical accessory! You may be thinking “You work in dermatology! You never use a stethoscope” and you would be right, 98% of the time. In dermatology, we do use stethoscopes to take blood pressure from putting patients on spironolactone, a potassium sparing diuretic which also decreases testosterone and therefore helps acne! Some side effects can include increased urination and therefore dizziness and hypotension so for patients with a history of low blood pressure, we check their BP in office before sending off a script.  I was worried that I would miss having a bell with this stethoscope, but to be honest, I’m loving how sleek it is! It fits perfectly into a carrying case that virtually takes up no space in my bag! The dar