Skip to main content

PA Shadowing 101

Some people dread it, but it's a necessity.

Where to find PAs to shadow:

There's a bunch of different ways to find PAs to shadow. I admit, I struggled a little finding PAs to shadow because they either had a contract with a specific high school or could not have students shadow due to HIPAA laws. If you look hard enough, and ask enough PAs, you will find one who will let you shadow them!

I first started with googling PAs around my area and would then either call them or go directly to the practic and bring a resume with me.  I definitely recommend starting with this method, but if you can, I really encourage you to show up to places in person. Make a day of it and just have copies of your resume and lists of practices to go to. Also, make sure you also proofread and update your resume beforehand!

I would also reach out to other relatives, especially grandparents, and ask if any of the doctors they attended had PAs and if I could shadow them. Trust me, I'm sure at least one of your family members has encountered a PA at least once in their life. Your grandparents, if they're anything like mine, probably see at least 5 different doctors. In the end, my mom actually wound up making the PA shadowing connection for me and I got to shadow a PA in plastic surgery. In addition to relatives, I also reached out to some high school teachers of mine to see if they knew of any connections and could vouch for my willingness to learn.

Use social media. I also joined the facebook groups "pre-pa rockstars" and "Physician Assistant". Don't be afraid to make a post and ask if anyone is willing to let you shadow them. If there's anything I've learned about the PA profession, it's that if a physician assistant CAN let you shadow them, they will.

If you attend a college that has a PA program, call or email the head of the program and ask if any of the faculty are willing to let you shadow them or if they have any connections! It also shows you're taking the initiative to reach your goal which can be helpful if you decide to apply there in the future!

If you're still striking out, try volunteering at your local hospital. Once you've been volunteering for a few weeks, ask if there are any PAs that work there and would be willing to let you shadow them. I found it a lot easier to get PA's information once I wasa already volunteering there.

There's also a super awesome website called Physician Assistant Shadow Online. There, under the pre-pa tab, you can find PA shadowing. You do have to pay for the services, but if you've exhausted every other option, this is a bullet proof way to find a pay to shadow. I have not personally used the service, but I believe you can search for PAs by state and the website helps you get in contact with them.

Why shadowing is important:

There are so any different paths to choose from in healthcare that it's difficult to decide on one! I truly believe the only way you will know if you love something is if you witness it first hand. This means shadowing. Otherwise, how will you know you would rather be a PA over an MD? or a PT over an OT?

Many programs require shadowing hours, and even if they don't, it's highly recommend. I found when I applied that a lot of schools also required a LOR from a PA, which can't really happen unless you've shadowed and developed a connection with a PA. If you're granted an interview, you'll also be asked "Why do you want to be a PA?", "What is a PA?", or "What does a PA do?". It'll be super helpful if you can start your answer with, "Well in my experience when I shadowed a PA, he/she did..."

As I've stated above, if a PA can help you, they will. And that includes not only letting you shadow them, but also teaching you along the way. One of the PAs I shadowed would brief me on a patient and teach me about the case- whether it was muscles for botox, or specific hormones, and then she would quiz me! It helped me retain the information and it made me feel like I was one step closer to becoming a PA :)

Etiquette:

When confirming the dates and times you will be shadowing, ask the PA what attire they would like you to show up in. I've worn both business casual and scrubs when shadowing a PA before so double check. If you're opting for business casual, I encourage you not to wear jeans and instead wear a more  formal pant with an appropriate top. I also recommend not wearing open toed shoes if you're a girl.

While shadowing it's important to keep in mind that the PA you're shadowing still has to o their job, which might involve you not getting in their way. Keep in mind that you should save all your questions towards the end of a case (if the PA is taking outpatient cases in an office) as the PA should be focusing all his/her time on the patient.

Don't be upset if a patient doesn't want you to come in for case. There were several times while I was shadowing where a patient wasn't comfortable with a student in the room. It's understandable not to want to be exposed in front of a stranger. Take this time to talk to other health care professionals in the office and learn about them or ask the receptionist if she needs any help. You never know who may have connections for jobs in the future!

Be enthusiastic!! Being eager and friendly will get you a long way.

After finishing your shadowing day or dates, drop off a handwritten thank you note. A handwritten note goes a long way and is more personal than an email. For the PA I shadowed, I dropped off biscotti and a handwritten note. You don't have to do this, but it may help the PA remember you and let you shadow them again in the future.

Keep your end goal in sight and you will succeed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School  Hi everyone! I'm super excited to be able to share a guest post written by Savanna Perry from The PA Platform! : Hey guys!  I’m really excited that I’m able to share some tips with you about starting PA school.  After the excitement of gaining acceptance, and the realization that you’re actually going to become a physician assistant starts to fade away, the nervousness about what to expect sets in.  If you talk to any current PA student or PA, you’ll likely hear how difficult and all-consuming school is.  I’m here to tell you that it can also be fun, and provide some advice that I wish I had before I started my program.  1. Start studying for PANCE from day 1 The ultimate end goal of PA school is to pass the boards, which is called the PANCE.  I didn’t really start thinking about this until the third semester, but I wish I had used my PANCE study books from the beginning of didactic year when we were learning clinic

CASPA Survival Guide

Hi pals, with CASPA opening up within the next month, I thought some of you might find this blogspot helpful! I had trouble navigating through the application process so I can relate to your stress! I remember meticuously tweaking my personal statement every day and impatiently wondering if I would ever get an interview invite. Looking back, I can definitely say all the stress and time was worth it! To learn about what you can do early before CASPA opens, check out my other post  here ! I also recommend checking out CASPA's FAQ which I've linked on my main blog page! CASPA opens on April 27th this year! The first thing to do would be to create a profile with your email. When I first tried to open CASPA on Safari, it didn't work for me so if you run into this problem I recommend trying Google Chrome! As you guys probably already know, I'm a big supporter of submitting your app as early as possible since most schools operate on roling admissions! This gives you a bett

Stethoscope Review

I have so much to be thankful for this year!  What I am most grateful for this year is the health of my loved ones and the privilege to practice medicine! And alsooooo my new Erka sensitive stethoscope from Medelita! They were so kind as to gift me this new medical accessory! You may be thinking “You work in dermatology! You never use a stethoscope” and you would be right, 98% of the time. In dermatology, we do use stethoscopes to take blood pressure from putting patients on spironolactone, a potassium sparing diuretic which also decreases testosterone and therefore helps acne! Some side effects can include increased urination and therefore dizziness and hypotension so for patients with a history of low blood pressure, we check their BP in office before sending off a script.  I was worried that I would miss having a bell with this stethoscope, but to be honest, I’m loving how sleek it is! It fits perfectly into a carrying case that virtually takes up no space in my bag! The dar