Skip to main content

An Open Letter to Anyone Applying to PA School

Dear CASPA Applicant,

      I know how much of your time has been consumed with the application process. I know how hard it has been to gather all your LORs, keep track of all your volunteering hours, and edit your personal statement. I know how expensive this process can be (when I looked into my "cart" of programs I had added to my CASPA I nearly screamed). But, I also know how badly you want this, and not just for yourself. I know you want to become a health care provider to provide care to those who in need; to give any family their mother, daughter, son, or father back. I know, I get it.

      I know how difficult it is to juggle all of this on top of your normal every day life, whether that's being a parent, being a student, or being an employee. Trust me, there were many a times when I thought, "I can't handle this now, maybe I'll just try next year" (there is nothing wrong with a gap year, but I myself had not wanted to take one and in this circumstance, felt like I wanted to give up with a plan I had set in place for myself"

      I know how intimidating those interviews can be. Every school seems like they're looking for something different, it seems impossible to be able to impress them all, right? I know how you've stressed for days trying to plan out the perfect interview outfit to impress the admissions committee (and have probably changed your outfit a few times). I know of the bandaids you'll have to pack because you're trying to break in a new pair of shoes for this special occasion. I know how nerve wracking it'll be to have this interview be the only thing standing between you and your dream (and how sweaty you'll be).

      I know how heart breaking it'll be if you don't get an interview or acceptance to a school. I know how frustrating it'll seem when you thought your interview was perfect, and you think, "what could have gone wrong?" I know how this rejection will feel like your world is over, but it won't be. I promise.

      I also know how incredible (almost indescribable) it'll feel when you finally get accepted. All your hard work will pay off in the end, whether it's this cycle or the next. There is no expiration on your dream.

So when you feel like giving up and throwing in the towel, don't. When you feel heartbroken because of a rejection, consider that maybe everything happens for a reason and that there might be an even better suited school out there for you. Whatever you do, just don't let your fear of being rejected stop you from being the successful health care provider you know you can be. Whether the dream of becoming a PA comes true tomorrow, or not for another 5 years, it will happen if you continue to work towards your goal.

I know you can do this.

Sincerely,
A person who was in your steps






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting PA School  Hi everyone! I'm super excited to be able to share a guest post written by Savanna Perry from The PA Platform! : Hey guys!  I’m really excited that I’m able to share some tips with you about starting PA school.  After the excitement of gaining acceptance, and the realization that you’re actually going to become a physician assistant starts to fade away, the nervousness about what to expect sets in.  If you talk to any current PA student or PA, you’ll likely hear how difficult and all-consuming school is.  I’m here to tell you that it can also be fun, and provide some advice that I wish I had before I started my program.  1. Start studying for PANCE from day 1 The ultimate end goal of PA school is to pass the boards, which is called the PANCE.  I didn’t really start thinking about this until the third semester, but I wish I had used my PANCE study books from the beginning of didactic year when we were learning clinic

CASPA Survival Guide

Hi pals, with CASPA opening up within the next month, I thought some of you might find this blogspot helpful! I had trouble navigating through the application process so I can relate to your stress! I remember meticuously tweaking my personal statement every day and impatiently wondering if I would ever get an interview invite. Looking back, I can definitely say all the stress and time was worth it! To learn about what you can do early before CASPA opens, check out my other post  here ! I also recommend checking out CASPA's FAQ which I've linked on my main blog page! CASPA opens on April 27th this year! The first thing to do would be to create a profile with your email. When I first tried to open CASPA on Safari, it didn't work for me so if you run into this problem I recommend trying Google Chrome! As you guys probably already know, I'm a big supporter of submitting your app as early as possible since most schools operate on roling admissions! This gives you a bett

Stethoscope Review

I have so much to be thankful for this year!  What I am most grateful for this year is the health of my loved ones and the privilege to practice medicine! And alsooooo my new Erka sensitive stethoscope from Medelita! They were so kind as to gift me this new medical accessory! You may be thinking “You work in dermatology! You never use a stethoscope” and you would be right, 98% of the time. In dermatology, we do use stethoscopes to take blood pressure from putting patients on spironolactone, a potassium sparing diuretic which also decreases testosterone and therefore helps acne! Some side effects can include increased urination and therefore dizziness and hypotension so for patients with a history of low blood pressure, we check their BP in office before sending off a script.  I was worried that I would miss having a bell with this stethoscope, but to be honest, I’m loving how sleek it is! It fits perfectly into a carrying case that virtually takes up no space in my bag! The dar